Occupancy – Approved

Took the month of July off this year to finish the house paperwork and permit wise. Very happy to report, on July 16, 2015 at about 11:15am Gerry Shapiro, the Kitsap county building inspector who’d performed the vast majority of our inspections, stamped our building permit approving our home for legal occupancy and use. Never in my life has one single stamp meant so much. This simple blob of black ink on a bright Orange sheet of heavy weight paper brought some tears to my eyes with a feeling of joy and relief and accomplishment. Could not have done without the support of Michelle. Thank you my wife, we make an unstoppable team.

As the inspector was leaving, Michelle was watching what happened on the cameras. She saw the inspector leave as I was walking back into the house taking a picture of the stamp to send to her. I was about to write a text of “happy anniversary lover pants, we passed” when my phone rang. Michelle was calling me. She immediately asked “did we pass, did we pass. I see him leaving and you look happy” Told her we passed and let her know this was her anniversary present. Our wedding anniversary happens to be July 16th. Almost as romantic as the concrete floor she received for Xmass this year and Sliding glass doors she received for V-day. How will I top these in future years you are asking yourself; who knows?

We’ve been mostly done with the house since shortly after the fire / sheet rocking minus a few clean up bits to complete, and a large environmental impact fee to pay as part of our permitting costs. One of the bigger bits of the last bits was the infiltration pit for the down spouts. When we applied for permits we submitted an ATSM D422 Sieve test for our soil and rolled a D10 lower then 0.00. Putting our spoil in a horrible category for water absorption resulting in a massive 980 square foot infiltration pit.

After doing some research into the test I worked out what was wrong and submitted new soil to Krazan and Associates in Puyallup to be tested. I’d taken surface top soil high in organics and not sandy rockier soil from the depth of the Ipit. The second test back with a D10 roll of 0.17. 0.17 meant our soil was able to absorb 2 inches of water an hour vs 0.5 inches an hour. New test resulted in 300 square foot infiltration pit for a savings or about 6 dump truck loads of gravel. The finished infiltration pit is literally a hole in the ground filled with 18″ of gravel. In the middle of the gravel is a 4″ perforated pipe.

One of the other things we had to do was cover the outside of the house with something. Three walls we covered with Soil up the about 8″ below the wood line and left the EPS foam or Mel roll waterproofing exposed. The back wall of the house / above ground wall we covered with steel mesh and a thin layer of mortar. For the most part Stucco siding. At the onset of that project I was unable to apply more than a single 80# bag or mortar at time due to muscle fatigue. By the time I’d moved onto putting concrete on the shed I was up to about 4 bags at a time. The result are some odd lines in the siding between 80# bags of mortar. Once we complete the patio we’ll cover all of it with stone bricks – Picture of some mesh and mortar on the wall.

Michelle noticed it was possible to request Ipit and final inspection at the same time. Before we could have those inspections we needed final electrical approval.

On Tuesday of the week Mr. Stuart, the State L&I electrical inspector, came out for our final electrical inspection. He gave us a temp approval based on the understanding we would replace the two outdoor plugs with WR plugs. I did not know we needed Weather Resistant plugs outside, but after he said something it made sense. Mr. Stuart returned the next day and put the full approval sticker in the panel.

Thursday morning, we passed final and have been living in the house with no looming deadlines or reason for a county official to ever be in our home again. Gerry did comment during the inspection that he would not be able to pass us because the Ipit was not covered. Part of Final is final grade meaning all holes are covered. The people Michelle had seen ask for both did not pass. Being as we own an excavator that was parked next to the hole we managed to come to an agreement and still pass.

The following day we performed no building because we did not HAVE too. It’s still a bit of an odd feeling to not have to complete projects after a year of mostly none stop building. On that note a few pictures

Building inspector leaving after providing approval

Maddex working the machine digging the Ipit

Dad dumping the first load of utility drain rock into the hole

Looking into the Ipit catch basin

Inside of the house on day of inspection complete with Van Deer Graaf on the counter and Rings mounted the ceiling

Still a great deal to do before it’s pretty, but we can legally live it our home now

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Kevinm